Signs You Need Siding Repair
It’s generally a good idea to keep an eye out for any problems with your siding by doing a quick visual inspection of it on your own every month or two. Just circle around your home to see if there are any problems. You should make sure that you check on your home’s siding following large storms as well as the boards may have taken some damage if they were exposed to harsh elements, such as severe winds or hail. The following are a few siding problems that you’ll want to repair right away if you spot them:
- Broken or cracked siding – Replace any boards that are cracked, have holes or are broken with new ones. Leaving them as is – even if they contain small cracks, can result in water penetrating into the boards, which can end up causing moisture issues, such as rot or mold.
- Mold, fungus or mildew – Any sections of your siding that exhibit mold, fungus or mildew have been affected by moisture penetration should be replaced.
- Missing nails – Missing nails should be replaced right away. If boards are missing nails, it means that they won’t be strongly attached and can be displaced during a storm.
- Missing or damaged caulking – You may need to re-caulk the areas at the butt joints if you notice that the caulking there is missing or damaged.
Why You Should Never Delay Siding Repair
If you notice any of the previous issues with your siding, you should have it repaired right away. Siding repairs will help you with the following:
- Improve curb appeal – Even small blemishes can hurt your curb appeal if you don’t repair them.
- Prevent bigger problems – Even a simple missing nail could result in a loose board falling off, resulting in water penetrating the home and causing water damage to your interior walls. Repairing small problems could help prevent bigger, more expensive ones.
- Improve energy efficiency – By repairing your siding, you’ll help prevent the air your HVAC system is producing from escaping out of your home, which can help keep energy costs down.
- Prevent insect infestations – Repairing your home’s siding can help keep insects from being attracted to your home or from finding a way inside.
Further information on siding repair and inspection is available by filling out a contact form here or contacting us directly at (586) 530-2704.